What are Performance Fabric Sofas?
1. Stain resistance
At CB2, our performance fabrics have a moisture barrier that repels water- and oil-based stains. Liquids bead up on the surface rather than absorbing quickly into the sofa — saving you from stains, whether from your favorite malbec or French press coffee. That means you can deck out your lounge space with a white or light grey sofa (and none of grandma’s plastic covers). Just think: next brunch, there’s no need to skip the Bloody Marys for fear of spills.
2. Wear resistance
Our performance fabrics are rated for extra heavy wear through the Wyzenbeek Test, a process that involves rubbing the textile repeatedly to see how many rubs it takes before the fabric starts to wear out or lose texture. For heavy-duty use in living rooms, Wyzenbeek-approved upholstery requires a rating of 15,000 double rubs. Our performance fabrics are rated for 30,000 — the rating recommended for sofas in commercial spaces –meaning your sofa will withstand years of evening soirees and TV binge sessions. Another plus: you can let your fur baby stretch out on the chaise lounge with you for late night cuddles.
3. Environmentally Friendly & Non-Hazardous
Rest easy. Our performance fabric sofas are produced in alignment with the Oeko-Tex and Bluesign standards. This means they are not only safe for use in your home, they’re also Earth-friendly and sustainable — meaning they’re developed and created without harming the environment.
How to Care for Performance Fabric Sofas
- Be sure to blot spills immediately. Just press a clean, soft towel on the spot in question.
- Check the specific directions for your fabric choice to determine whether you can clean it yourself with water and a mild detergent or if you have to call in the professionals for dry cleaning.
- For upholstery that plays nicely with water-based solvents, mix distilled water with water-based cleaning solutions, and mist light to medium spots (think: red wine, coffee, ketchup) with a spray bottle. To stay on the safe side, test in an inconspicuous area first.
- If you didn’t catch the spill in time, there’s no need to stress. Medium, dark and ground-in stains are no match for an extraction cleaning machine. Not sure how to use one? Rely on a professional for help.
To keep all sofas (including performance fabrics) looking their very best, rotate the cushions once a week and get your furniture professionally cleaned every year.